Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Howrey Creates Indian Office for Client Work

In yet another blow to United States paralegals, Howrey is setting up an office in India to "take advantage of the growing class of well-trained -- and comparatively low-paid -- young Indian professionals." Clients will have a choice: have their work done in-house for the regular rate, or have their work done in India for a reduced rate.

Howrey intends to train these workers at their facility in Falls Church, Va., but afterwards, the workers will be shipped to India. Howrey says that it's not outsourcing. Of course it's not outsourcing -- it's creating an outsourcing center just for them.

This makes me wonder first, if Howrey is using their existing paralegals to their advantage, and second, how the legal profession has come to be so impersonal. What happens when the client wants to speak to the professional working on their matter, but the professional is asleep in India?

Outsourcing is going to become a serious problem for paralegals if this trend continues. Regulation may stem the tide, but it seems like attorneys may need to be educated on just how useful their own paralegals are.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting about this subject. I had not realized the threat that the trend of outsourcing had to the paralegal profession. I have so much daily client interaction (I'm a family law paralegal), that I wouldn't have thought it possible for my job to go overseas.

    I recently discovered your blog and I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your posts. I've been a paralegal for 6 years now and I have, at times, failed to realize the value of the work I do. Your enthusiasm for the profession is contagious! Thank you!

    BTW, I also love Pilates (I basic mat and reformer certified).

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.