Thursday, May 1, 2008

Paralegal by Day, Roller Girl by Night

Jamie Taylor, 29, a paralegal by day in Everett, Washington, is a Jet City Rollergirl - and not the type that curl your hair literally.

Taylor skates in roller derby, that high-contact, slamming sport. To be sure, there's a show aspect -- how else do you earn the nickname "Ivana Hurtya"? -- but when they're competing, it's pure sport. Taylor is known as Precious N Metal, and she has sustained injuries as a part of roller derby: she has a plate and six screws in her ankle.

But she loves it:

"I work in an office," said Taylor, the paralegal, "and derby is an opportunity for me to express that part of myself that I don't get to do in my everyday life. It's an outlet for this part of my personality to come out."

There is also a bond of friendship, even among players from rival teams.

"There's nothing like a group of women getting together and sweating and bleeding and beating the crap out of each other, and then hugging afterward," Taylor said. "When you go through pain together … a different kind of thing happens than when you're just playing softball.

"There's a camaraderie," she said. "And a big part of derby is sisterhood. It's by women, for women."


(Source: HeraldNet)

3 comments:

  1. Yay for derby!

    I am also a paralegal rollergirl. I have been with Husch Blackwell Sanders LLP for 6 years and skating with the Arch Rival Roller Girls in St. Louis for 3 seasons.

    I have been fortunate not to break anything (yet) but my teammates have not been so lucky, We are currently nursing 1 broken leg, 1 broken arm:(

    Cheers!
    Carrieocity Kills

    ReplyDelete
  2. CK, derby is awesome! I'd love to do it, but right now I don't have time... and probably not enough health insurance (I'm very small and very breakable and VERY clumsy!). Go rollergirls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love ya Jamie!
    Kurt Sorensen
    Chugiak, AK

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.