Monday, August 18, 2008

Paralegal Sets Sights on Rising Lawyer Salaries

Many people think the logical career move for a paralegal is to go to law school and become a lawyer. (In fact, it's such an expected career path that I try not to blog about paralegals becoming lawyers, because I believe that being a paralegal can be a very rewarding career. I believe it so much that I bristle a bit when someone asks me if I'm going to go to law school.) While career paralegals will disagree, Adam Scheuer, a former Manhattan paralegal, is starting law school next week at Cleveland-Marshall College of Law after seeing the super salaries handed to associates.

Statistically, Scheuer said, the odds are not great for top-rung starting pay.

"It just depends on how successful I am in law school," he said. "It's a meritocracy."


In these tough economic times, the lure of high associate salaries certainly is tempting. However, I remember reading somewhere that in a recession, more people enroll in law school, and by the time they graduate, the market is flooded with newly-minted J.D.s all competing for the same jobs. Currently, attorney positions are difficult to find, and with a flooded market, even in a good economy, competition is fierce.

(Source: Cleveland Business News)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.